(Family Features) It’s summer and there’s little that can compare to the refreshing sparkle that fresh lemon or lime gives a tall glass of iced tea or an ice-cold bottle of water. (And how about that great citrus taste on grilled fish?) But it’s not always easy — or convenient — to bring a whole lemon or lime with you when you’re on the go. Worse yet, it’s so frustrating to reach for a fresh lemon or lime at home only to realize either you’re out or they’ve gone bad sitting in your refrigerator.
Now, there’s good news for lemon and lime lovers. Fresh squeezed lemon and lime taste is now as simple as a tear of a packet or a shake of a bottle — and you don’t have to worry about it going bad before you’ve had a chance to use it. True Lemon and True Lime crystallized lemon and lime substitutes are made with 100 percent all-natural ingredients including real lemon and lime juice and oils. Available in packets and now rolling out nationwide in shaker containers, both can be used just like you would fresh lemon or lime juice.
True Lemon and True Lime can add true citrus flavor to:
- Drinks and smoothies,
- Marinades, rubs and flavoring pastes,
- Main dishes,
- Fruits, vegetables and side dishes,
- Desserts and
- Any dish or drink that needs flavor-enhancing lemon or lime.
Convenient packets of the all-natural crystallized lemon and lime are also great to take to the office, to the gym or on summer vacation — anytime you’re on the go. Each packet contains the equivalent of 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon or lime juice with no calories, carbohydrates, preservatives or sodium, but with a full 25 percent of an adult’s daily vitamin C requirement. True Lemon and True Lime shakers have the same health benefits and offer an easy way for home chefs to sprinkle on a zesty citrus taste. They are also a great salt substitute for those watching their sodium intake.
For more information and recipes, visit www.truelemon.com.
Luscious Lime Summer Smoothie
Makes 1-1/2 cups
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 packets True Lime
- 1 ripe medium banana
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and halved
- 2 cups crushed ice
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
Lemon Herb Salmon
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 packets True Lemon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 medium salmon steaks, cut 1/4 inch thick
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients except salmon steaks; mix well. Add fish to bowl; spoon marinade over fish until well coated. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours, turning fish over after 1 hour.
- Place fish on broiler pan or on hot grill. Broil or grill 4 to 6 inches from heat, 10 to 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.
Source: True Lemon