Prep time: 50 minutes
Cook time: About 2 3/4 hours
Yield: 16 servings
- 1 16-rib pork rib crown roast (about 8 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons dried Italian herb blend, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided, plus more for casserole dish
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 onions, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 pound crusty Italian bread, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 cup dry red wine, preferably Italian
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons cold water
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place pork in shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons herb blend; season with salt and pepper. Roast until temperature towards interior of crown reaches 145°F, about 2 1/4 hours.
- While pork is roasting, make dressing: In large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Use slotted spoon to transfer sausage to large bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to skillet; melt over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion. Cook, until very tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl with sausage. Add bread, cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons herb blend to bowl. Add 1 1/2 cups broth, stirring to evenly moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon mixture into buttered 2 1/2-quart casserole dish. Cut 2 tablespoons remaining butter into pea-sized pieces; dot them over the top.
- About 30 minutes before pork is done, cover dressing with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- When pork is done, transfer to cutting board; rest 20 minutes. Remove foil from dressing; continue cooking until top is crisp and golden, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain roasting pan and discard liquids; place pan on stovetop over medium-high heat. Add wine and remaining 3 cups broth. Bring to boil; cook, scraping up browned bits, until liquid reduces to 2 cups, about 12 minutes. Reduce to simmer; add remaining 4 tablespoons butter, stirring until butter melts. Whisk in cornstarch mixture; cook until sauce thickens, just a few seconds. Remove from heat; whisk until smooth. Strain if you like; season with salt and pepper.
- Slice roast. Serve with dressing and pan sauce.
Source: National Pork Board
- 1/2 cup Hellmann's® or Best Foods® Real Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 4 teaspoons Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine mayonnaise with cheese in medium bowl. Arrange chicken on baking sheet. Evenly top with mayonnaise mixture, then sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Bake 20 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
Calories: 370 | Total Fat: 23g
Cholesterol: 100mg | Protein: 35g
Carbohydrates: 2g | Sodium: 390mg
Notes, Tips & Suggestions
Cost per recipe: $7.16
Cost per serving: $1.79
Based on average retail prices at national supermarkets.