(Family Features) We all know it's important to start the day off with a healthy breakfast. As a parent, you also have lunch covered for your hungry student, whether it's packed in a brown bag or eaten in the cafeteria. But after a busy day of learning, young tummies often need a wholesome after-school snack to tide them over until dinner.
Keeping a stash of kid-friendly snacks handy is a sure-fire way to keep snack time manageable, while making sure kids don't have a full afternoon meal, which would spoil their appetite for dinner.
Instead of potato chips or cookies, try crunchy veggies paired with a flavorful dip. As an added (and educational) bonus, invite kids to help make snacks ahead of time, assigning them age-appropriate tasks like measuring and mixing. This introduces them to family meal prep and helps teach them about healthy eating habits at an early age.
Kick off your new after-school snack routine with a recipe like this one for Ranch Pimento Cheese Celery Logs, created by country music star and busy mom of seven, Sara Evans, on behalf of Hidden Valley. For a little kick, Evans suggests substituting with Hidden Valley® Spicy Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix. If your kids resist celery or you want a little variety, this spread also makes great finger sandwiches when layered between two slices of sandwich bread and cut into small triangles.
For more kid-friendly after-school snack ideas, visit www.HiddenValley.com.
Ranch Pimento Cheese Celery Logs
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Hidden Valley® Original Ranch Salad Dressing & Seasoning Mix
- 1 (4-ounce) jar pimentos, drained
- 30 (2-inch) celery logs, cut from about 1 bunch of celery
- Place cheese, mayonnaise, seasoning mix and pimentos in bowl of food processor. Pulse a few times until well combined but still chunky, taking care not to over mix. Alternatively, you can mix by hand, but it won't be quite as spreadable.
- Divide cheese mixture among celery logs (about 2 teaspoons per log), mounding it into cavity.
- Serve cold.
30 filled celery logs
SOURCE: Hidden Valley